One of the things I have done during the job search is to re-write my resume. It’s available to anyone who is interested in it. I will have a link to it soon.
In revamping it to be more of a skills-based resume rather and a chronological one, I asked my friends what they would list as my important skills.
It was heart-warming, enlightening and amusing:
- Brilliant technical communicator with vast referenceable achievements
- The power of schmooze 😉 How you put that into resume-friendly language is up to you.
- I’d add networking abilities into that. You have a strong ability to build connections.
- You can talk to anyone!!
- Effective leader of/spokesperson for numerous fund-raisers benefitting non-profit organizations
- Excels in interpersonal interaction, leadership and motivation
- Strong collaborative and team-environment skills
- Effective oral and written communicator
- Skilled community builder
- Able to coordinate and motivate people who don’t directly report to you.
- Strong ability to influence without authority.
This is something I admire in most of the best leaders I know. It means people listen to you and act because of your passion, persuasiveness, and general spiffiness. It means you are a person people want to know.